Kingston Town Court, Kingston, NY
Kingston Town Court
906 Sawkill Road,
Kingston NY 12401
Town of Kingston Website: http://www.townkingstonny.us/body_index.html
In most cases, you do not have to appear in court. As your traffic violation attorney, I can stand in your place in Kingston Town Court and in negotiations. Most importantly, I’ll explain how I can help you and how I may be able to reduce your ticket to a lesser charge, or get it dismissed altogether. The cost of fines and increased insurance premiums on a speeding violation in New York can be substantial. The cost of public transportation can be expensive. And if you’re a commercial driver, losing your license means losing your job. I’ve been helping people like you with cases like these in Ulster County New York for 30 years.
If you’re concerned about your insurance premiums, your motor vehicle points, your driving record, your right to drive, or any issues related to your traffic citation(s), call my New York office for a free consultation. Don’t pay the ticket before you’ve spoken with a lawyer.
Whether you’re a local Ulster County resident, a New York driver, an out-of-state driver or even a Canadian driver, you should speak with an experienced Kingston NY traffic violation attorney. A number of key roads pass through Kingston including NY State Route 199, US Highway 92, the New York State Thruway and (aka Interstate 87). If you were charged for a violation on one of these roads or any local roads, I can help you fight your ticket charges.
I am able to help if you’ve been charged with:
- Driving with a Suspended or Revoked License
- Driving without a License
- Driving without Insurance
- High-Speed Tickets
- Cell Phone Tickets
- Commercial Drivers Licenses
- Repeat Offenders
- Other Traffic Violations
Don’t plead guilty. Use an experienced New York traffic lawyer.What Happens in Kingston Traffic Court? Negotiation before Trial
The three main people involved in a Kingston traffic court case are the police officer, the lawyer and the judge. Sometimes, there is also a prosecuting lawyer.
Before the case begins, I will negotiate with the police officer and sometimes the prosecutor to see if there’s a way to:
- Reduce the charges to a lesser offense such as a non-moving violation or a charge with less points
- Merge multiple offenses into one offense – for example, a reckless driving, speeding 10 mph over the speed limit and failure to yield totaling 11 points might be merged into just one failure to yield charge carrying just 3 total points
- Dismiss the charges altogether
Through my experience trying numerous cases, I know the factual and legal arguments to make that can help persuade the police officer and the prosecutor. I also know, because of prior work with many of the officers and prosecutors, where they are likely to bargain and where they’re not.Your Defenses
You have a right to assert your defenses. If the defenses are factual, it helps if you appear. Most defense are legal, so you don’t have to appear. As your lawyer, I can assert the legal defenses such as making sure the police officer proves his case and presents the evidence properly. The defenses will differ depending on the actual charge, what the police officer/prosecutor can really prove and the facts of the case.Effect of the Judge’s Decision, Depending on How the Judge Decides
- Your charges will be dismissed or sent to the NY Department of Motor Vehicles
- You may have to pay a fine, penalty or court costs. If the charges have been reduced, you will have to pay much less. That’s one of my aims (other than having the charge dismissed) — to reduce the consequences
- Convictions may be forwarded to the state or country that issued your license
- Your insurance rates will stay the same (the charges were dropped or sufficiently reduced) or they will increase (for more serious violations)
- Your license may be suspended or revoked
A speeding ticket and other traffic violations can put points on your driver’s license. Too many points can lead to an increase in your insurance premiums and the possible suspension of your license. Before you pay a traffic fine in Kingston, NY, let the law office of Jonathan D. Katz, Esq., help. Contact us online or call my office at (866) 938-8498 for a free consultation. I will have empathy for your situation. I understand the distress of being stopped by the police. I’ll explain the traffic court process and the possible consequences including all of the financial costs.