Marlborough Justice Court, Milton, NY
Marlborough Justice Court
1650 Rt 9W, PO Box 305,
Milton NY 12547
Marlborough Justice Court Website: http://www.marlboroughny.com/town-government/justice-court
In most cases you do not have to appear in court. As your traffic violation lawyer, I can stand in your place in court and in negotiations. Most importantly, I’ll explain how I can help you. I may be able to reduce your ticket to a lesser charge, or get it dismissed. The cost of fines and increased insurance premiums on a speeding violation can be substantial. The costs for public transportation or cabs expensive. And if you lose your license, you can lose your livelihood. I’ve been helping people with traffic cases in Marlborough Justice Court, Milton and throughout Ulster County NY for 36 years. Don’t pay the ticket before you’ve spoken with me.
If you’re concerned about your insurance premiums, your motor vehicle points, your driving record or any issues related to your traffic citation(s), call my New York office for a free consultation. Whether you’re a local Ulster County resident, a New York driver, an out-of-state driver or even a Canadian driver, I can help you with your tickets.Getting Stopped on Local Roads Near the Hudson River
I can help if you’ve been charged with a traffic violation, including:
- Driving with a Suspended or Revoked License
- Driving without a License
- Driving without Insurance
- High-Speed Tickets
- Cell Phone Tickets
- Commercial Drivers Licenses
- Repeat Offenders
Don’t plead guilty. Use an experienced New York traffic lawyerWhat Happens in Marlborough Justice Traffic Court?
The three main people involved in a Marlborough traffic court case are the police officer, the lawyer and the judge. Sometimes, there is also a prosecuting lawyer.
Before the case begins, I will negotiate with the police officer and sometimes the prosecutor to see if there’s a way to reduce the charges to a lesser offense such as a non-moving violation, to reduce the points, to merge multiple offenses into one offense, or to eliminate the charges altogether. Through my experience trying numerous cases, I know the factual and legal arguments to make that can help persuade the police officer and the prosecutor. I also know, because of prior work with many of the officers and prosecutors, where they are likely to bargain and where they’re not.Trying the Case
If a negotiation can’t be reached, the police officer and the prosecutor have the burden of proving their case (beyond a reasonable doubt). This requires that:
- The police officer must appear
- The police officer must be able to prove the facts listed on the citation
- The police officer and/or the prosecutor must be able to prove that a motor vehicle law was violated. Not every wrong deserves a citation
- The defense lawyer (me) has the right to question/cross-examine the police officer
You have a right to assert your defenses. If the defenses are factual, it helps if you appear. Most defense are legal, so you don’t have to appear. As your lawyer, I can assert the legal defenses. The defenses will differ depending on the actual charge, what the police officer/prosecutor can really prove and the facts of the case.The Judge’s Decision
After both sides present their case, the judge makes his decision. Judges can find defendants not guilty, guilty, guilty of some charges but not of other, or he/she can find that a lesser charge(s) really applies.Effect of the Judge’s Decision, Depending on How the Judge Decides
- Your charges will be dismissed or sent to the NY Department of Motor Vehicles
- You may have to pay a fine, penalty or court costs. If the charges have been reduced, you will have to pay much less. That’s one of my aims (other than having the charge dismissed) – to reduce the consequences
- If you’re found guilty of any charges, those charges may be forwarded to the state or country that issued your license
- Your insurance rates may increase
- Your license may be suspended or revoked
A speeding ticket and other traffic violations can put points on your driver’s license. Too many points can lead to an increase in your insurance premiums and the possible suspension of your license. Some violations may cause you to lose your license or even face jail time. Before you pay a traffic fine in Marlborough Town Court, Marbletown, NY, contact us, or call my office at (866) 938-8498 for a free consultation.
I will have empathy for your situation. I understand the distress of being stopped by the police. I’ll explain the traffic court process and the possible consequences including all of the financial costs. In most cases, you do not have to appear in court.